I am working on a scientific thesis these days where I want to develop a simulation-software for small robots driving, orientating and communicating within a virtual 3D environment. These robots shell have actors (to perform their movement in the scene) and sensors (for their orientation in the scene).
I am a real newbie in writing simulation-programms and I have never written a 3d-game before too. But I want to use a 3D-(Game)-Engine for my work an, and I am searching for an appropriate one.
1. Is is possibile to create a virtual 3D Environment including placing the robot, placing objects and texturing floor, walls and arbitary scene objects (at runntime) using Xith3D?
2. Is it possible to read values from the scene for example with Xith3D... for example
-- the color and brightness of the object which is in front of a robot
-- the distance to the next obstacle
3. Is is possible to manipulate the scene at runtime.. means changing position and state of objects and robots?
4. Has Xith3D built-in collision detection (collision detection between robots and obstacles should be possible.)
5. Has Xith3D built-in physics like gravity, friction and idleness/inertia?
6. Is it possible to save the state of a scene and to load it later?
7. Does Xith3D have a built-in renderer which is able to render the scene continously?
8. Is there a higher level documentation (besides the Javadoc and XIN) or a textbook about Xith3D ?
9. Are there tutorials?
10. Has Xith3D been used in (commercial) projects so far? Any successful work with Xith3D which I can watch? Are there demos?
Do you think Xith3D would be a good choice?
Thanks in advance!