Author Topic: Fight the spammers  (Read 7655 times)

Offline Marvin Fröhlich

• Xith Lord
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • May the 4th, be with you...
    • View Profile
Fight the spammers
« on: 01. May 2009, 11:20:30 PM »
I have restarted the fight against spammers here at xith.org. I have upgraded to SMF 1.1.8 and was hoping, that I am now able to install the registration captcha again. But it didn't work. I hope, I can get it to work now.

I have deleted about 450 spammer accounts. I hope, I didn't delete a regular user account. But I don't think so. If I deleted your account, please re-register and take my apologize.

Marvin

Offline Marvin Fröhlich

• Xith Lord
  • Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Fight the spammers
« Reply #1 on: 02. May 2009, 10:50:04 AM »
I managed to install the anti-spambot captcha modification. I hope, this will bring an end to the spambot registration and spam threads (finally).

I have verified, if normal registrations are still possible and they are.

Marvin

Offline Marvin Fröhlich

• Xith Lord
  • Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28. May 2012, 09:25:54 PM »
I just deleted a ton of potentially spam bot accounts. And I fear, I only caught a fraction of them. Anyway, if your account get deleted or if you registered after this posting and your account got deleted, please feel free to register again and choose a better name.

If your name looks suspicious or unreadable, or if you have some kind of commercial link in your signature before you became a valuable member of the community or what ever reason, that makes me think, the account may be a spam bot, I take the right to delete the account without notice.

I hope, you understand this.

Offline Marvin Fröhlich

• Xith Lord
  • Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08. July 2012, 02:35:48 PM »
I think (and hope), I finally removed all the spam bastards from our user base. It has shrinked from about 3400 to 601 members. Crank, how many spammers have used our site for advertising over the last 7 years. But now I am sesitized and think, I can effectively detect new spam accounts and delete them quickly.

Let's keep fingers crossed.